- Job Listings
- DGS IS HIRING FOR THE FOLLOWING EXECUTIVE POSITION:
Deputy Director, Office of Administrative Hearings
CEA C, Monthly Salary Range: $10,668.00 - $12,136.00
- Salary may be extended up to $15,885 for candidates who are licensed attorneys.
“To provide a neutral forum for fair and independent resolution of administrative matters, ensuring due process and respecting the dignity of all” is the mission of DGS' Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH). As a quasi-judicial tribunal, the OAH hears administrative disputes for state and local agencies, including special education due process hearings and mediation for school districts and parents of children with special education needs. OAH is entrusted with the task of ensuring that all Californians, including its most vulnerable populations, are provided neutral and fair resolution of all administrative matters in a dignified and legal manner.
OAH is looking for the next Deputy Director to provide exceptional leadership and executive level guidance to OAH. Under the direction of the Director of OAH, the Deputy Director will provide direct guidance in the day-to-day operations of OAH and directly supervise the heads of all division of OAH. The Deputy Director will also have broad oversight over the annual budget of over $35 million.
- Active membership in the California State Bar.
- At least one year of supervisorial experience managing attorneys.
- Admission to practice law in California for at least five years immediately preceding application for appointment.
- Either one year of experience performing the duties of an administrative law judge for the Office of Administrative Hearings, or two years of experience in the conduct of judicial or quasi-judicial hearings in the capacity of presiding officer, or five years of experience in the practice of law which shall have included at least three years’ experience in the presentation of evidence and the examination of witnesses before a trial court or quasi-judicial administrative body.
- Experience in planning, organizing, and directing work of multi-disciplinary professional and administrative staff.
- Experience handling and managing budget issues for an organization.
- Experience at the managerial level developing, administering, and implementing departmental policies and procedures and practices.
- Experience at the managerial level presenting issues before the Governor, Legislature, local government, State boards and commissions, various State agencies, and/or the public.
- Experience in dealing with legal issues and/or litigation of a high-profile and/or politically sensitive nature.
- Experience in developing and maintaining procedures necessary to monitor and ensure compliance with relevant laws.
- Experience demonstrating integrity, initiative, dependability, good judgment, and ability to work cooperatively with others.
Due to the executive nature of this position, all applicants must read and complete the application instructions found here: https://goo.gl/aAF9ea
Applications are due by September 22, 2017.
If you have questions about this position or the application process, please contact:
For all other questions about this ad, please contact Recruitment@dgs.ca.gov
If you have a job opening available that you think would be appropriate for our membership base, please use THIS LINK to submit to CJA Headquarters.